Week 40/2019 (30 September– 6 October 2019)
- This is the first weekly report for the 2019–2020 influenza season.
- Influenza activity was low throughout the European Region.
- Influenza viruses were detected sporadically in specimens from persons with respiratory illness presenting to medical care.
- Both influenza A and B type viruses were detected.
- For week 40/2019, data from the 21 countries or regions reporting to the EuroMOMO project indicated all-cause mortality to be at expected levels for this time of the year.
2018/19 season overview
As is usual for this time of year, influenza activity is low in the European Region.
During the influenza Vaccine Composition Meeting for the southern hemisphere 2020 season, held in September 2019, WHO recommended the A(H1N1)pdm09 component to be an A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus, the A(H3N2) component an A/South Australia/34/2019 (H3N2)-like virus and the B/Victoria-lineage component to be a B/Washington/02/2019-like virus. The B/Yamagata-lineage component, included only in quadrivalent vaccines is a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus. The full report can be found here.